Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cards

I originally started the number memorization because I figured I could use it as a 'training tool' if you will to get my brain practiced at learning the journey method. I assumed going over numerous number combinations over and over would be quite easy and I would be able to practice a lot and get my times down on numbers quite easily. However, there was one big problem with this - IT'S SOOO BORING. I know practice is the tedious part of learning something new that everyone hates, but I knew there had to be a better, easier way to practice.

Introducing cards, a revolutionary breakthrough in speed and training...that is fortunately based on Dominic's number system...so the only thing I had to do was to memorize 12 new people and actions and acquaint card and suit to celebrities I had already memorized. Here is how it works:

Take the 2 of clubs. The number/letter of the card (2) is the same as the numbering system (1-a, 2-b, 3-c etc.) and the suit is the first letter. So, the 2 of clubs is BC, which is also 23 in the number system. It just so happens that Ace-10 of each suit already has an association to a person, the only thing you have to memorize is Jack, Queen and Ace of each of the four suits. So simple! Then, flip over three cards and make one image using person action person and place that in a single loci location (17 total images + 1...I just incorporate three people and one action in the final image) It took me about an hour get 12 new people and actions and become 'semi-acquainted' with the cards and their corresponding characters. I went ahead and did a trial run of cards Ace-10 and it took about 11 minutes with two mistakes. He says it takes 20-30 minutes the first couple of times..and anything sub 3 minutes you should consider joining a memory championship! My goal - sub 3 minutes

I've also noticed how difficult it is going to be to practice cards because I have a few random journeys here and there, but I had nothing mapped out, organized, characterized. Therefore, I stopped doing cards the rest of the day and wrote down about 15 buildings on my college campus that I am pretty familiar with and designed one huge journey from building to building and in the buildings. The entire journey is going to have roughly 400 loci locations, but its going to be separated into 19 different sections...so 19 different sets of numbers, 19 decks of cards, 19 lists etc that I could use it for...or use it to memorize a list of 400ish things.

Ed Cooke told Joshua Foer when he was training for the world memory championship that to begin he would need about 12 journeys to keep up with his pace...so I feel like 19 will do me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment